What You Should Know For The 2022 Tax Filing Season

With the 2022 tax season upon us and the filing deadline looming, we’ve combed the Canada Revenue Agency’s website for pertinent details that may affect you as you prepare your return. We have also included some key benefits, credits and deductions to take advantage of, depending on your circumstances.
March 1, 2022

What’s the filing deadline for 2021 taxes?

-      The deadline for most Canadians to file is April 30, 2022 (May 2, 2022 since April 30 is a Saturday).


Are you self-employed?

-      The deadline for self-employed individuals to file is June 15, 2022. All taxes owed must still be paid by April 30, 2022 (May 2, 2022, since April 30 is a Saturday). If you need to better understand your tax obligations, possible business deductions, and how to avoid common tax errors, we’re here to help you.


Do you have a child?

-      You may be eligible for the Canada child benefit (CCB) or related provincial or territorial benefits. You may be able to deduct eligible child care expenses if you have a child.


Do you have a disability?

-      If you have a disability, you may be eligible for the Disability Tax Credit (DTC).You can apply for the DTC by submitting a completed T2201 Disability Tax Credit Certificate form any time during the year.


Did you receive COVID-19 benefit payments in 2021?

-      The Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB), Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB) and Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) are all considered taxable and you will need to enter the total amount you received on your return. If you received these benefits, a T4A information slip will be mailed to you by the end of February 2022.

-      If you are self-employed and received COVID-19 subsidies for your business, this assistance is taxable so you must report the amount of assistance you received when you file your income tax return.


Did you receive COVID-19 subsidies for your business?

-      Are you a Canadian business, charity or non-profit organization that has receive done or more subsidies to cover part of your employee wages and hiring expenses or commercial rent and property expenses? If so, you need to remember that these subsidies are taxable, unless you are exempt from income tax. You must report these subsidies on your income tax or information return for the tax year (fiscal period) which you are considered to have received them.



Did you work from home in 2021?

-      You may be eligible to claim a deduction of up to $500 for home office expenses in the 2021 tax year using the temporary flat rate method, if you worked more than 50% of the time from home for a period of at least four consecutive weeks due to COVID-19. This method can also be used if your employer provided you a choice to work from home due to COVID-19 during this period.


Are you a resident of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba or Ontario?

-      Under proposed changes, if you are a resident of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, or Ontario, and you are eligible and have filed your tax return, you will now automatically receive your climate action incentive payments four times a year, starting in July 2022. To receive your payments, you have to file a tax return even if you have not received income in the year.


Are you a northern resident?

-      The northern residents deductions are available to those who permanently live in a prescribed northern zone or a prescribed intermediate zone for a continuous period of at least six consecutive months, beginning or ending in the tax year. To find out if you live in a prescribed zone, visit Line 25500 - Places located in prescribed zones. The residency deduction is based on how many days you lived in a prescribed zone during the tax year.


Do you have a balance owing?

-      If you have a balance owing, paying it in full by the deadline will ensure interest isn’t charged. If you can’t pay all of your tax debt at once, the CRA can work with you to find a workable payment arrangement.


Plan ahead!

Plan ahead and file your income tax and benefit return as soon as you can. Doing so will allow you to: receive any refund faster (if applicable); avoid interruptions to your benefit and credit payments; and seek help if you need it.

See All Stories